Monday, February 6, 2012

Soul Searching and Returning to the Student Life

Goals.  We all have 'em, whether we admit it or not, and some are more noble than others.  There's some old ones that take years to carry out, and more that really don't take quite so long to fulfill but rather it's just a matter of doing it.  It's no big secret, I'm back in school- taking pre-requisites for entering grad school to (hopefully) get my M.A. in Near East Studies and Anthropology (there is a combined degree program for this at University of Arizona), and eventually a PhD in one of these fine subjects of which I would like to think will be Near East Studies but will be determined by the path I take once I am further along.  Point being, that I'm on the path.  I found what I have a passion for and grew the balls to start on the path to do it despite all else.
I see and meet so many friends, co-workers, and acquaintances who upon finding out about my plans complain that they wish they could do the same or that they wish they had a passion.  Everyone, and I mean everyone has some sort of passion.  You may not think so, but you do.  There are always going to be things you enjoy doing and it's up to you to decide if you want to find a way to DO that and make a good life out of it, or if you want to be a worker-bee the rest of you life, doing what you enjoy in your off time.  I know what I want to do, and I hope that I'm able to have a positive effect on someone else struggling to do the same.  And I know it's a struggle, it's certainly not easy working full time and going back to school even part time- but to suck it up and know that at some point you're going to be quitting that well paying job and living that student life again for a period of time to start your life over can be downright scary.  But with a lot of planning, and knowing yourself well enough to know that this path is what you ought to be doing it's not impossible.  Nothing is impossible, unless you never start it.
Just remember the quote I found on a greeting card in the supermarket today- "This is your world.  Shape it or someone else will." ~Gary Lew

No comments:

Post a Comment